"Seek ye first God's kingdom and his righteousness." What does this mean, what do I have to do, or what sort of effort is it that can be said to seek or pursue the kingdom of God? Shall I try to get a job suitable to my talents and powers in order thereby to exert an influence? No, thou shalt first seek God's kingdom. Shall I then give all my fortune to the poor? No, thou shalt first seek God's kingdom. Shall I then go to proclaim this teaching to the world? No, thou shalt first seek God's kingdom. But then in a certain sense it is nothing that I do. Yes, certainly, in a certain sense it is nothing, become nothing before God, learn to keep silent; in this silence is the beginning, which is, first to seek God's kingdom. . .
Soren Kierkegaard
I don't know if there has been one day in my life I have pursued God's kingdom first.
I have also never thought about simplicity beginning with the interior, the mind & the heart. I had always thought of simplicity as primarily an outward action that creates an inward mentality. Now I see why it was so hard to keep up the outward action! It was as if I was building on a foundation of sand or gardening on a bed of concrete.
No comments:
Post a Comment